Church Supper Spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, water and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the corn, peas, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir in spaghetti.
- Layer half of the mixture in a greased 4-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
To give Church Supper Spaghetti a new flavor twist, use Italian, Mexican or Cajun diced tomatoes in place of the plain diced tomatoes.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 lemon, halved, plus extra lemon slices
- 1/2 cup seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- salt if needed
- 2 pounds of small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut if preferred
- 1 package turkey kielbasa, cut into pieces
- 8 ears of corn, husked and halved (we used 4)
- 2 pounds of shrimp, unpeeled
- melted butter optional
- garlic bread optional
Set a large roasting pan or stock pot over two burners. Add three quarts of water, onions, garlic, seafood seasoning, lemon halves (squeezing their juice into the water before adding the shells), and salt (if needed). Bring to a boil. Add potatoes and kielbasa; return to a boil. Cover with foil which lets some of the liquid evaporate, reduce the heat, and simmer until potatoes are just tender (20 minutes). Add corn; increase heat to medium-high and cook, covered, until tender (5 minutes). Top with shrimp; cover and steam (3 minutes). Turn off the heat; stir shrimp into broth and let stand, covered, until cooked (2 minutes). Serve with melted butter and lemon wedges. Serves 8.