- Refrigerated pie crusts, 2 count
- 7 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- Prepare the filling: Place 1 cup of blueberries in a large bowl; crush with a wooden spoon. Stir in the cornstarch and vinegar until cornstarch dissolves. Stir in the sugar, next five ingredients, and remaining 6 cups of blueberries into the smashed berry mixture.
- Fit one of the two dough rolls into a greased 9 inch pie dish. Cut the second into 12 to 14 (1/2 inch wide) strips.
- Pour fruit into piecrust. Dot with butter cubes. Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Lightly brush egg mixture around the edge of the pie. Arrange piecrust strips in a lattice design over filling. Trim excess dough and lightly press the edges together. Brush entire top of the pie with the remaining egg mixture. Freeze for 20 minutes or until dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake pie on a foil lined baking sheet for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 20 more minutes. Cover pie with foil to prevent excess browning, bake another 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden or the filling in the center bubbles. Total time 65-70 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack and cool for one hour before serving.