Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- 1 lb or 5 cups of black-eyed peas
- 1 smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 8oz package of diced ham
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- 8-10 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of white rice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh parsley (optional)
How to make:
If black-eyed peas are dried prepare per package directions.
In a large pot heat two tablespoons of olive oil and saute garlic, onion, celery, ham, salt, pepper, and thyme. Once onions are translucent add chicken stock, sliced smoked sausage, black-eyed pea, and bay leaves.
Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cook for one and a half hours.
Prepare white rice per package directions. White rice is optional but can be added to the bowl with the soup poured on top, mixed into the soup, or not used at all.
Remove bay leaves.
Parsley to garnish.