Asparagus and Pea Soup
- 12 oz green asparagus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen peas, 1/4 reserved for garnish
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Zest of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, shaved for garnish
- Parmesan crackers
- Remove the base of the asparagus and discard. Separate the spears, remove this tips and reserve for garnish, and chop up the remaining pieces.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter and cook over medium heat until melted. Add the leeks and cook for 5 minutes, or until they have softened.
- Add the chopped asparagus, 1 cup of the peas, and the parsley. Cook for 3 minutes, add the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so that the soup simmers and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor, puree until smooth, and strain through a fine sieve.
- Place soup in a clean pan. Add cream and lemon zest, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer.
- Bring a small pan of salted water to a boil. Place the asparagus tips in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender. Remove tips, submerge in ice water, dry, and set aside.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls, garnish with the asparagus tips, reserved peas, mint leaves, reserved lemon zest, and parmesan, and serve with Parmesan Crackers.