- 8 apples, skins on, quartered and cored
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 double crust pie dough
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut up into tiny cubes
- 1 egg beaten
- sugar to sprinkle across the top of the pie
- Slice the apples into pieces.
- Combine in a large bowl apples, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, lemon juice, lemon zest, and flour. Mix until apples are thoroughly covered.
- Pour the mixture into an a pie crust. Mound high and dot with butter.
- Cover fruit with second pie crust. Crimp edges and vent with 4-6 slits across the top.
- Cover the pie and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush the beaten egg across the top.
- Wrap around the edge with foil to keep from overbrowning.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Open the oven and carefully sprinkle the sugar across the top. Bake for another 10 minutes until top is golden.
- Cool the pie for an hour.