- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4-1/2 cups sliced peeled peaches
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine sugars; add peaches and toss gently. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Line a 9-in. pie plate or cast iron skillet with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Set aside. Drain peaches, reserving juice.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir in reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter. Gently fold in peaches. Pour into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; cover the top or make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. If covered, add four slits for steam. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.