Rustic Berry Tart
- 1 pre-rolled pie crust
- 4 cups of fresh berries, such as: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
- ½ cup of sugar, plus a little extra for the crust
- Zest from half a lemon
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 egg – egg whites only
- Remove pre-rolled pie crust from the refrigerator and allow it to sit fifteen minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add berries, sugar, lemon zest, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Gently fold together to combine.
- Roll out pie crust onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Spoon the fruit mixture onto the center of the pie dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Gently fold over the border towards the center, pleating as you move around the tart.
- Place tart in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm the dough back up.
- Remove from refrigerator. Brush the dough edge of the tart with egg whites and sprinkle sugar around the edge.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 375 degrees and back for another 30 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and crust is golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.